Oct 12, 2005

The Classics

I was thinking that I need to go back and read some of the classics that I have not yet read. And that got me to thinking about writers and reading and what makes a book "classic." So I am asking for your opinion on this one. How long does a book have to be in print to be considered a classic and what makes a book a classic-- author, literary style, cultural relevance? Who decides? There may be a legitimate answer to that question, and if there is, please let me know. I'm just interested in hearing what you have to say and expanding my list of books to read, so please weigh in on this one and give me your personal list of classics, and or favorites.

The following is a list of 5 books I enjoyed: books that struck a cord at some important season in my life, made me think, made me laugh, or made me grow:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
3. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
4. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
5. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

I'm looking for a new good read. Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Chad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelly said...

I'm not sure what the answer is to your question, but if you haven't read any of the other Chronicles of Narnia, they are all definitely worth a read. Also, my all time favorite book (not a "classic") is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It's a must read. She's a Christian author and so incredibly talented.

Kate said...

I also love The Red Tent, but I know you've read it because you suggested it to me. We just finished The Giver in my classes and the kids really got into it. Thanks for all the stuff you gave me to teach it!!! Can't wait to see you and Chad and Ava! Love you!

Kate said...

What is Ava going to be for Halloween this year?

Noel Green said...

Hi, Summer!

It's Celeste (Scott) Green from Blue Haven!
I found your blog while reading another one.

You have a beautiful daughter! I'm so thankful to hear that everything is going so well in your life!

I live in Springfield, MO now with my wonderful husband, Noel. We own an advertising business and live and work downtown in our loft. It's a great blessing. You can see a TON stuff on our website...www.noelgreen.com:)

I'd love to catch up with you sometime! God bless!
And oh yeah--you should read Jane Eyre...I just finished it and loved it:)

JENNY said...

Just thought I would let you know that you have the cutest baby! See you guys soon!

April Carrasco said...

Hi Summer, we went to Blue Haven 3rd Session together for years. Rachel and I and you and Lidna always hung out together. I found your blog through another person's blog randomly. Your little girl is precious. Hope to keep in touch through blogging.

jkreggp said...

What makes a classic? Good question. I think that two criteria which generally hold are that the work must be of high quality, and it must have withstood the "test of time." (It must still be considered excellent decades after it first came out.) How many decades? That is debatable. I remember that in the mid-60s many old people said the music of the Beatles was faddish and would never withstand the test of time. They were wrong. * A book I am really enjoying right now: "Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight," by Alexandra Fuller.