Oct 4, 2009

Here are a few things I am writing down so I don't forget them:


1. Ava let us know that we might need to start using bigger words with her now that she's 5.

2. I asked Pierson if he was ready to brush his teeth a few nights ago and he told me, "I'd wather not." (I'd rather not.) 2 going on. . . 12? By the way, I didn't give him the option.

3. This afternoon we were reading bedtime books and Pierson was searching for the "Yucky Hat" book. I was baffled. I finally found the book he was looking for about a "Lucky Hat."

4. Ava is into clothes, shoes and anything to do with fashion. She often explains how the dress on her barbies or in coloring books would be cute if it had a different color, a longer hem, a different color bow, etc. She loves to play dress up and is extremely particular about what she wears. The other night at dinner, she let me know that she liked the pattern on my shirt, but she thought it might be cuter if it had a button by the neck. Chad and I laughed and said she might become a fashion designer someday. She asked what that meant and I explained that a fashion designer is someone who imagines what clothes might look like and makes them for other people to wear. She thought about it for a minute and then said, "I have an idea. At my fashion designer store, there will be two people who work there. I will be the one who makes up the outfit and the other person will be the one who sews my idea."

5. I heard Pierson being a little too quiet in Ava's room yesterday while she was coloring in the living room. I went in and found him standing on her bed with one of barbie's legs (detached from her body.) He tilted his head to the side, smiled like he knew this might not be a good idea and said, "Swing batter, batter, batter. . ." Then used the leg to hit to practice his swing. I had to walk away and laugh before I came back and reattached Barbie's leg.

6. When Pierson is tired or frustrated he whines in a way that sounds a lot like Napolean Dynomite. It cracks me and Chad up, which is probably not helping him learn not to whine. There is no funny way to write in words how it sounds, but imagine a 2 year old Napolean saying "Aaawwwaaawww. I don wan to go night night."

7. Chad was driving home with Pierson in the car and instead of wanting to listen to music or watch a movie, Pierson said "Tell me a story, daddy." After a short story Pierson whispered, "Tell me a secret." This reminded us that our kids just want connection with us. They don't need to be entertained, just talked to.

8. Pierson fell off of a chair last week and busted his lip pretty badly. We were lucky that the cut was on his lip or he might have needed stitches. Ava was so concerned about all of the blood and Pierson's injury that she wouldn't let me talk about it in front of him because she was worried he would start thinking about it again and get upset. She would come up and whisper in my ear, "I just feel so sad about Pierson's lip, but don't look at it. It might make him feel bad."

Pierson with his cousin Eydie. Love 'em!

4 comments:

Kara said...

even though i have already heard some of those stories, they are still soo funny! i love ava's fasion sense...that girl needs to come give me some advice!
and i have to admit that i said the napoleon thing out loud just to get the full effect.
love those kids.

JENNY said...

those stories are hilarious. i love that Ava is good with fashion. when we were at the lakehouse, she came up to me to show me the picture she was coloring and said, "she would look so much prettier if her skirt was longer and she had tights on under the skirt." haha. I thought it was so cute.
i really want to hear pierson's napoleon thing. that sounds so funny!!

Kate said...

I'm so glad you're taking the time to write these down so we don't forget them later. I love Pierson's nasaly Napoleon voice!

Shelly said...

Sweetest stories ever!! I love it---makes me feel more connected to your kids! I miss y'all so much! Love you!